|Title||A View of the Church in Saint Andrew's Parish, from untitled sketchbook, 1796 - 1805|
3 5/8 x 6 1/2 inches (image)
7 1/4 x 4 3/4 inches (support)
|Inscription||[bottom] A View of the Church in Saint Andrews Parish- built in 1706--there was a fine organ in this church destroyed by the British --drawn April 1800|
|Credit line||Gift of Alice Ravenel Huger Smith|
|Collection||Work on Paper|
St. Andrew's Church was built in 1706, the year St. Andrew's Parish was founded. Taking in a good part of the Ashley River, the Parish was one of the richest due to its early and rich plantations.
Fraser has inscribed on the bottom of his sketch "destroyed by the British." This refers to the tradition that the Church was destroyed by fire in 1764, though attributing the fire to the British is likely incorrect. Recent excavation has cast some doubt on the extent of this fire. Portions of what is believed to the original 1706 structure have been found, making St. Andrew's the oldest Anglican church building in South Carolina.