|Title||View of Charleston (View from the West)|
|Artist||Jackson, Henry Joseph|
26 3/8 x 36 1/2 inches
|Signature||H. Jackson, 1846|
|Signature Location||bottom left|
|Credit line||Gift of Victor A. Morawetz|
Sometimes called “View from the West,” the scene depicted is actually viewed more from the southwest across the old Bennett’s Mill Pond. The two houses on the left are recognizable as the present numbers 274 and 268 Calhoun Street, and in the middle of the far distance the steeple and portico of the Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul on Coming Street are visible. The causeway in the center of the middle distance divided the pond into two areas; it marks the spot where the Convention Hall for Veterans of the Confederacy was erected in 1899. The building, just south of Calhoun Street between Ashley and Rutledge Avenues, long housed the Charleston Museum.
This text is adapted from Martha Severens "Selections from the Collection of the Carolina Art Association" published by the Carolina Art Association, 1977